Re: [LUG] network buffering

On 14/09/11 21:38, tom wrote:

> Well they are in California YouEssofA so you cant really expect
> blistering performance. Try an analyser nearer to home...

The analyser is excellent, gave it a try and it spotted a couple of
minor issues, very thorough.

This is a buffer delay not round trip latency. They are flooding the
queues (probably on your router) and then saying how it takes for stuff
to escape the queue.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/The-ICSI-Netalyzr-Explored-113972

I tried tweaking a lot of things and got uplink network buffer delay
down from just under 3000 to 2000ms but couldn't push it further. Main
gain was enabling wondershaper, although discovered wondershaper
destroys my download bandwidth (useful to know).

Consist with my experience that my link is dreadful when uploading
photos and gets a lot better with wondershaper.

Since the details of the test aren't revealed I'd be left looking at
packet traces to get any further - although I think it may be time to
upgrade my router - lack of IPv6 and bad DNS behaviour are getting tedious.