Re: [LUG] Remote Backups

On 07/09/11 12:43, Martin Gautier wrote:
Hi all

I was wonder if anyone had any suggestions for backing up a server to
remote storage (via rsync or similar).

I have about 500Gb currently but would want to support up to 1Tb.

I want to just dump the data offsite and so want to avoid the likes of
Dropbox that support file syncing. In fact, Dropbox linux cli is
currently in use but the Dropbox servers suffer from randomly deleting
files from it's archive and then syncing the changes back to the local
server effectively deleting them there too!

Most VPS solutions don't do large amounts of diskspace so that's out...

I have considered Amanda community edition hooked up to Amazon S3 but
that seems expensive.

What do others do?

Cheers
Martin

That is a fair whack of data to backup. I set something like this up for similar volumes of data (about 600GB) in the past but didn't use any online storage services. What I did was prepare another machine with a USB hard drive attached and make a b ackup of the data to the USB drive. I then put the PC at a remote site and then simply rsync'd the changes across. Luckily the data itself didn't change much (it was fairly static, so there were only say 100MB of files changing or being added/deleted daily) so it could run overnight over a standard ADSL connection.

I'm considering doing something similar for some stuff I have on my home server (mainly e-mails, family photos and home videos) and having a PC at my mum or dad's house, this way if anything happens I have an off site backup (plus they can backup their photos and whatnot to my server).

If this isn't an option maybe you could look at building a reasonable quality server or buying one in and having it co-located somewhere? Although I guess this may also cost on bandwidth and maybe power usage.

Rob