Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On 01/09/11 14:39, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> So after running a dual-boot PC with XP and Debian 6 for a few months,
> my wife splashed out on some new hardware and it's Linux only...
>
> And one week into my wife having a 100% Linux desktop and it's rapidly
> becoming apparent that it's just not working for her )-:
>
> It's bog-standard Ddebian out of the box - none of my "usual" tweaks,
> etc. it's as it is.
>
> On the whole, it does work - it's a nice setup, 22" widescreen HD
> monitor, the on-board graphics seem fine - it's all Intel N10/i915 and
> more or less does OK.
>
> Sound works, but no volume control... At least there is no GUI based
> volume control - volume in applications (e.g. bbc iPlayer does work
> OK) Launchin the gnome one whinges that it has no hardware to work with!
>
> Printing - this is a major frustration.
>
> She has an HP PhotoSmart 2575 USB - I was plesantly surprised (the
> first time round) that it was detected and setup to work, but after
> printing a couple of pages it "breaks". There an obscure error message
> about it being disabled, and in it's properties it's then flagged as
> "disabled".
>
> Same for the other printer we have - HP Colour Laser 4600N - Ethernet.
> It works - for a while, then finds some error and it's disabled.
> Re-enabling it makes it work again.
>
> Printing used to be easy - see my previous whinges about it )-: Now
> with all this CUPS stuff, it's bloated and hard.
>
> What I can't find out either is why it's breaking. No sensible error
> messages. Very frustrating.
>
> The trouble is, being from a MS background, she's too used to turning
> it off and on again - she power cycled the laserprinter too, trying to
> work out why it wasn't printing - when I enabled printing in the
> properties it printer her document, by why had it disabled in the
> first place? There is nothing at all in the syslogs to indicate it had
> disabled the printer. This frustrating thing is that we went through
> this 2 days ago too and we did print something on both printers, so
> what's broken now?
>
> (Incidentally both printers worked 100% of the time under Windows XP,
> and it turns out that she was having the same issues under Linux
> before, but she'd simply reboot into XP and print from there - now
> she's not got that option)
>
> The other issue is of-course documents - in particular she's been sent
> some .docx documents that crashes openoffice.
>
>   "Due to an unnexpected error, Openoffice.org has crashed..."
>
> Asking the producer of those documents to change them produces the
> reply "well they work for everynoe else - it must be your PC". And in
> a way they're right, even if they're wrong.
>
> How in this day and age, can opening as document cause an application
> to crash? Bonkers.
>
> She has to read that document if she's to tender for the work it's
> specifying. That in itself is enough to make her think seriously about
> spending the extra on Win7 and MS Office )-:

> [...]

I agree we seem to have a long long way to go.  I am aware people are
not all in support of Ubuntu but at least as a community we can try and
fix issues,  I am using 11.04 with the classic interface,  I am more
used to that, it works how I expect, when I have time I can have a play
with unity.

I think the biggest issue is WHO is one meant to contact for support,
if I have an idea for cups under ubuntu do I contact the cups
development team or a ubuntu development team?

ideas.

Paul