Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On 01/09/11 15:17, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 1 Sep, 2011, at 2:39 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:

bog-standard Ddebian

I take that to mean: without debian-unofficial, etc, repos. Try Ubuntu,
Mint or (maybe) Fedora instead. My impression is that the debian team
doesn't give a damn about either usability or popularity; debian is all
about freedom and tech goodness. Debian is suitable on the desktop for
alpha geeks. It provides a magnificent foundation for eg Ubuntu, but
it's not the thing for non-techies, IMHO. Mint etc deliberately
compromise on freedom in order to offer a more Mac-like "JFW"
experience, with non-free blobs (drivers etc) installed as standard.

To be honest I've found some annoying things in Linux Mint 11, gnome-screensaver randomly freezing, the fix appears to have been to replace it with xscreensaver (not that I mind, I like the Apple ][ screen saver :-D).

I gather similar things are happening on Ubuntu too. I guess in my case if I wanted stability I could have used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or erm... Mint 9?

I've found some annoying issues in LibreOffice 3.4 where it'll crash and the auto-recovery documents don't work, so I'm using LibreOffice 3.3. I haven't had any issues with .docx files, but saying that I rarely use them (and what files I do use aren't very complicated). I see what Gordon is saying though, us techies tend to live with these things but normal users just want to get on with things.

Rob