Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Gibbs wrote:

Debian 6 is fine. I consider the non-us and non-free respositories to be
part of the package - i'm not a complete flossy advocate by any means.
Wifeys PC plays region coded DVDs without any issues...

And becasue my wifes technical support (me) has been using Debian since
0.96r1 then she'll be using Debian and get my help, or she can use MS and
pay for help from someone else.

If you're using the non free repos I don't think it would make too much
difference. The only advantage you would get with those distros is more
recent versions of softare.

Feel free to try this one: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xxx.docx

Opens up fine in LibreOffice 3.4.2 (I'm using Arch). Is titled
"Pre-Qualification Questionnaire".

*grr*mutter*

Do you want me to convert it for you and send it back?

No thanks. I converted it with something called odf-converter-integrator which produced something usable.

Debian 6 OOo is 3.2.1.

It's a shame standards based stuff is simply not ready for the masses, but
one day...

I don't know if that's really the case. A lot of standards make bad
business especially when it comes to monopolies such as Microsoft (e.g.
deliberate bad implementation of ODF).

The recent standards stuff I've failled to get to work is video phones. Bit of a PITA when I think how much I spent on them.

I mean - they do work - they work very well - when you can control the environment - same goes for all standards based VoIP, but add into that cheap shite ISPs, cheap shite routers, a "family" who expects free support and it all becomes a bit of a drag )-:

So now all the family are moving to Skype because one of them uses it all the time and it "just works"... On their Win PCs, Macs, etc. tonights challenge is to make it work under Debian 5 on an Acer Laptop with built-in camera (which works OK in Ekiga), and with a Logitech webcam wifey's just bought for her new Debian 6 PC...

Linux and OSS doesn't have a global voice as theres no ownership or
marketing. I don't think its the fact that standards aren't ready but
more the fact that some of the biggest companies in the world won't
adopt them properly, so they progress slower. All of the problems you
seem to be experiencing (Skype, Microsoft Documents) are all proprietary
too.

I know, but they work with everything *except* Linux (ish)

Onwards and upwards!

Gordon