Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Gibbs wrote:

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:17 +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
I take that to mean: without debian-unofficial, etc, repos. Try
Ubuntu, Mint or (maybe) Fedora instead.

This. For someone not acquainted with Linux, isn't technical and doesn't
care I would go down that route.

But when do you stop?

I read stories here of people trying one distro after another and so on, just to make some obscure bit of hardware work - rather than actually stop and try to analyse the issue at hand.

Debian 6 is fine. I consider the non-us and non-free respositories to be part of the package - i'm not a complete flossy advocate by any means. Wifeys PC plays region coded DVDs without any issues...

And becasue my wifes technical support (me) has been using Debian since 0.96r1 then she'll be using Debian and get my help, or she can use MS and pay for help from someone else.

As far as docx files go I've never had one crash (I use Linux
exclusively at work). I have had an issue with images showing up from
time to time though.

Feel free to try this one: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xxx.docx

I have sorted the issue by feeding it through a 3rd party converter, but even then it came out wrong.

The most common office related issue I have is with someone sending me
a .pub Microsoft Publisher file every month or so. I have to convert it
to PDF (ugh) using online tools. There might be an equivalent for docx
files.

In terms on Skype... I don't use it much but its worked fine. I don't
think its ever come out of beta though and as Microsoft is now at the
helm I can't see much progress being made in the near future.

It's a shame standards based stuff is simply not ready for the masses, but one day...

Gordon