Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On 1 Sep, 2011, at 2:39 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:

bog-standard Ddebian

I take that to mean: without debian-unofficial, etc, repos. Try Ubuntu, Mint or (maybe) Fedora instead. My impression is that the debian team doesn't give a damn about either usability or popularity; debian is all about freedom and tech goodness. Debian is suitable on the desktop for alpha geeks. It provides a magnificent foundation for eg Ubuntu, but it's not the thing for non-techies, IMHO. Mint etc deliberately compromise on freedom in order to offer a more Mac-like "JFW" experience, with non-free blobs (drivers etc) installed as standard.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63