[LUG] It's me again! Sorry!!

Dear All,
I've got Debian running in 6 now on my old HP EasyNote laptop and am trying to set up an HP P1005 mono laser printer. The OS recognises it but says I need to get HP 'plug in'. I go to HP and follow the guides for Debian 6 and download hplip-3.11.7. run
I go into terminal follow the advice given but the perishing file will not open because the character code cannot be recognised - any ideas about what I should besides shut up?
Grandad Bee.