Re: [LUG] flyer

On 26/06/2011 19:07, Paul Sutton wrote:

I installed OpenOffice at one of the schools I provide support for (I
install OpenOffice/Libre Office at every school I support along with
several other open source apps) - this particular school then requested
that I install the latest verion of MS Office (2010 Pro Plus) as 'people
cannot get along with it (OpenOffice)'.  Problems tend to mainly be the
handling of images in documents between the two suites, or rather, the
lack of it. Simple documents work well between the  two suites but
insert images etc, sounds etc and then you would think the world had ended!

I blame the likes of MS, Lotus et al for adding the fuctionality of
adding sounds, images and the like into the word processor....

Dave

Agreed, even though you can put sounds in documents in Open office,  who
were unable to get on with it,  the Students or teachers.

Is it possible to have both installed ?

Paul

Yes both can be installed... which is the problem.... if a document is created in MS office that contains sounds, images etc then opened in OOo (libre isn't installed at this school) then the document is not displayed correctly - tables incorrect, images not displayed, sounds don't work etc....

They have netbooks and laptops with OOo on and PC's with MS Office - the licences for MS Office (even at edu rates) run to over £1300 and this is a primary so probably well over 1/10th of the overall ICT budget!!

OOo is fine if it is an ALL OOo establishment or, as in other schools, kids just use OOo - staff use both but if kids have access to both then problems arise because staff tend to produce docs in MS Office (one the are most brainwashed... sorry used to using) and the docs don't display correctly.

The option, in this case, install MS Office on all rather than re-train staff....who are reluctant to do so no matter how much encouragement they are given and if I'm being honest, given the budget they can't afford anyway.

IMHO this need to be driven from county level.. encouraging the use of FLOSS would be a great step forward ....but then the use of proprietry software is so engrained that in a conversation I had with Cornwall County Council ICT support staff at another school, they described the Linux server setup with samba etc, as 'that dodgy Linux thing that needs dumping' and provided them with specs for a new server that ran MS Win 2008.. which I reluctantly installed and setup having been told this was 'needed' - SIMS being the underlying reason, that and the fact that they couldn't afford more than one server - so MS it is.

I've heard this soooo many times it's become boring - I have been asked to replace 2 servers at another school - both win2k3 - one DC , one MIS (SIMS) - discussed Linux and was told... NO! - win2k8r2 needed- no surprise there.

Oh well I get paid either way.

Dave