Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 20:23, Simon Waters wrote:

That said colleague at work just got a lovely Lenovo laptop, and the
price was pretty good (although that is with some sort of convoluted
cash back scheme).

  Simon

Where I'm contracting at the moment they have Lenovo kit. Just got some T510's in, nice looking machines, no legacy ports whatsoever on the docking station. So far seem okay.

Shame I can't say the same about the X201's though, we've had 2 on site both failing with random blue screens of death (XP) when docking and undocking. Lenovo will only provide support if we use their Windows 7 image which isn't much good as the users won't be able to do anything (the company is starting to use Windows 7 but it's a heavily customised image which gets installed and sods law the two users in question can't use it as the software they need isn't Windows 7 compatible). I think we're slowly getting to the bottom of it, luckily the issue has been seen on other sites too who happen to have the guys who created the Windows 7 custom images so they can hopefully work with Lenovo to figure out what is wrong (maybe some driver, software, BIOS, who knows, all I know is the VPN client was causing random blue screens at one point).

The Lenovo desktops aren't that great sadly, they have a cheap feel to them, when you lift the lid on them the front falls off! (This is on the M70e small form factor desktops).

I much prefered the Thinkpads when they were made by IBM, we have a few IBM's kicking around (and I have an X61s for work) and they seem really sturdy.

Rob