Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 17:48, Rob Beard wrote:

On 15/06/11 16:45, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 15/06/11 16:26, tom wrote:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/06/13/acer_stock_woes/

Tom te tom te tom

I wouldn't recommend an acer unless they were very-very cheap and you
were a soldering iron/screwdriver wrangler!

Martin

Why is that?

Rob (a happy Acer user with a 3 year old Acer Aspire 2920, and relative of someone else with an Acer which also works fine).

Rob

Well done. You're lucky!

Acer's are notorious for breaking down. In my experience, almost all the consumer laptops I repair are Acer. Invariably the power jack has broken or burnt out, the GPU has fried or (at least) one of the caps on the mobo have blown.

A quick query on my CMS tells me just under 68% of the laptops I repaired in the last 12 months have been Acer.

I haven't compared this with Acer's market penetration but out of the customers I've recommended laptop kit to, and have taken my recommendation, none have reported problems. I realise that's not indicative but it does fuel my prejudice.

Martin