Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 18:36, Rob Beard wrote:
Maybe Acer is a popular choice and maybe some of your customers aren't looking after their machines?

:) They don't.

Lots of people I know with laptops have a tendancy to use them in places that causes the vents to get blocked.

They do. The Acers I see in the field seem to run very hot and the one's I've taken apart have less than good ventilation. I carry one of those little Dysons for a quick fix.

My wife does this with her ThinkPad, I'm surprised it's still going as she uses the laptop in bed and the poor little thing doesn't half get hot.
My 8yr old daughter has had a thinkpad for 3 years. The battery's knackered but runs like a dream and takes A LOT of punishment. My wife has a Dell (freebie from college course) and I have an HP (4-5 over the years).

I haven't compared this with Acer's market penetration but out of the
customers I've recommended laptop kit to, and have taken my
recommendation, none have reported problems. I realise that's not
indicative but it does fuel my prejudice.

Any particular machines you've been recommending?
HP. But not the cheap ones ;) The way I see it, there's cheap consumer models and expensive corporate models. I'm usually pretty flexible and do a bit of research on current models and deals on each occasion and compare them with the client's requirements, budget & OS choice. Same with Desktops. I like the Asus barebones boxes and the Zoostorm & HP desktops - Zoostorm are relatively expensive but are good kit - the company have a reputation for killing off their factory workers so I do avoid them usually.

Martin