Re: [LUG] Viglen woes and Holsworthy Meeting

On 15/06/11 18:19, Arley Bushill wrote:
Hi All

I have a Viglen mini computer (Geode, 80GB, 512MB RAM, 6xUSB, Ethernet preloaded Xubuntu 8.04)
1. As I wish to use this in a remote location I have been attempting to set up remote desktop with a laptop (Ubuntu).  I can get the Laptop desktop to show on the Viglen but not the other way round. When I click ‘Connect’ on the laptop I get a flash of black screen and then ‘communication is closed’.  I guess this is possibly due to snail’s pace of the Viglen. I further guess that my only resort is to remote terminal ??
2.Whilst setting up the remote desktop on the Viglen I used terminal command line to load and run  vino (remote desktop application).  At some stage I must have done something daft that made the desktop disappear and I cannot find a way of reinstating.  All I have now is a blank blue desktop with a functional Firefox in its own resizeable window (which I have not stopped).  However I can start terminal and shutdown computer by using Alt + F Keys.  The Desktop environment is XFCE (I think issue 4).
3.My favourite Linux is Puppy (very slim) and I have made a bootable USB Stick hopefully to allow me to run on the Viglen in RAM.  The version is Wary 5.1.2 which is supposed to be suitable for running on an ‘old’ system.   This boots up quite happily on my laptop but when booting on the Viglen; hangs part way through the load and shows  something to do with ‘Kernel initcall’.

As you can no doubt guess I am a complete noob as far as Linux is concerned and get the impression through reading various forums that once a problem is encountered it is usually necessary to resort to the command line which implies some prior knowledge.

I intend to come to the DCGLUG meeting in Holsworthy next Saturday and am curious what form the meetings take.  Could someone please let me know if it will be possible to get some guidance on the above problems and if it is worth me bringing hardware.

Regards
Arley Bushill
I use ssh to talk to mine - just use the console
What does it need to do in the remote location?
Tom te tom te tom