Re: [LUG] dont buy a laptop just yet....

On 15/06/11 18:15, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 15/06/11 17:48, Rob Beard wrote:

On 15/06/11 16:45, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 15/06/11 16:26, tom wrote:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/06/13/acer_stock_woes/

Tom te tom te tom

I wouldn't recommend an acer unless they were very-very cheap and you
were a soldering iron/screwdriver wrangler!

Martin

Why is that?

Rob (a happy Acer user with a 3 year old Acer Aspire 2920, and
relative of someone else with an Acer which also works fine).

Rob

Well done. You're lucky!

Acer's are notorious for breaking down. In my experience, almost all the
consumer laptops I repair are Acer. Invariably the power jack has broken
or burnt out, the GPU has fried or (at least) one of the caps on the
mobo have blown.

I've seen blown caps on Dells and IBMs, I've also heard about fried GPUs, generally NVidia GPUs (do a search on TheInquirer.net for Bumpgate).

A quick query on my CMS tells me just under 68% of the laptops I
repaired in the last 12 months have been Acer.

Maybe Acer is a popular choice and maybe some of your customers aren't looking after their machines?

Lots of people I know with laptops have a tendancy to use them in places that causes the vents to get blocked. My wife does this with her ThinkPad, I'm surprised it's still going as she uses the laptop in bed and the poor little thing doesn't half get hot.

I haven't compared this with Acer's market penetration but out of the
customers I've recommended laptop kit to, and have taken my
recommendation, none have reported problems. I realise that's not
indicative but it does fuel my prejudice.

Any particular machines you've been recommending?

Rob