Re: [LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

> the latest issue of linux magazine has an article on udev, it should be
> in wh smith torquay,

I don't think the issue is understanding udev.

I suspect by trying to live without it Gordon understands what udev does
way better than I do.

He just wants his desktop to work like his telephone systems (and other
dedicated devices), and his telephone systems don't want any spurious
extra daemons lurking which start changing the contents of /dev because
someone (possibly Gordon) plugged the wrong piece of hardware in. Both
because he doesn't want the memory uses, and probably more so these days
he doesn't want any unexpected changes to the boxes.

Basically he wants GNU/Linux to behave like Unix did back in the old days,
where you plugged in some new hardware, and then had to relink the kernel
with the new driver, then create the right device file with "mknod" on
disk. I understand why he wants it, but it is swimming against the tide,
which is all trying to ensure when new hardware is plugged in it "just
works".

There were some scripts around from some guys trying to make Linux boot as
quickly as possible, which looked at your running kernel and modules, then
rebuilt a kernel with those modules in it statically. Thus automating some
of the process Gordon is doing, but I doubt they have kept pace with the
other changes to 2.6 kernel.