Re: [LUG] Knoppix Distro

On 03/06/11 08:25, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Kevin Lucas wrote:
I use it to repair Windoze Pc's

it runs in memory from the cd or usb
It finds most hardware,
It has tools for Harddisks, networking, etc,
I don't use it as a day to day OS but it could be installed
I think it's just the Biz when you want to just run a PC and check out
CPU memory Hardware Network or remove files protected by the broken OS.

I think that it could also be used as an example disc on possible
converts to Linux. You could run it on their computer to demonstrate
that Linux is a worthwhile OS, as well as being free etc. All this
without touching their hard disk at all.

With all the talk on the list about getting Linux to a wider audience, I
thought it could be a good way of doing this. Just my idea.

Neil

Personally I'd go for a Live Distro CD (maybe not Ubuntu these days, but possibly Xubuntu, Linux Mint, SUSE etc), these are can be installed alongside Windows (*Ubuntu and Mint, possibly others) can be installed from inside Windows using Wubi so the distro is stored in a large file on the Windows partition.

It's been years since I've used Knoppix, I now tend to use SystemRescueCD for sorting out PC problems but I've also been known to use CloneZilla too.

Rob