Re: [LUG] Knoppix Distro

Keeping changes (persistence) in a 'live' system is done by either a loopback file (can be in fat32) or a dedicated partition, can be a pendrive or fixed disk. When you pass "persistent" to the cmdline it will look for a file or partition usually named "live-rw" Otherwise partitions should by default not be mounted at all, depending how a particular distro (or user) sets things.

If you get the image on a usb stick it boots a LOT faster.

Debian-Live has got a lot better lately, knoppix is not as popular as once it was. Don't think it gets updated so often. Most distros these days seem to use the "live-cd" method for installation (not official Debian). About the best I saw (as a really good live system) was sidux of a couple of years back. No surprise, the biggest challenges are closed-source-driver graphics cards (also wlan cards)

I posted a while back details of my "Exe Linux Live" project http://www.exe-linux.fastfishwebsolutions.com/ which includes a "snapshot" utility to remaster your own with custom settings and a usbkey installer.