Re: [LUG] Network woes

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> I'd try another router - simplest way forward.
>
> Actually, since you have another machine doing the gateway, you now have 2
> levels of NAT (unless you get a fixed IP forwarded through?)

I have set up fixed IP forwarding. The router doesn't do any NAT-ting
- though I suppose it'd be capable of doing so if I plugged another
machine directly into the router.

>> Basically, the connection occasionally dies and the router cannot be
>> pinged. This lasts between a few seconds to a few minutes.
>
> I presume you've checked the output of dmesg in the Linux box? There are
> (still) some Ethernet interfaces that have problems - dropped interrupts,
> etc. although the only time I've seen it has been when running an interface
> at high speed for a long time... (This was a Marvell chip)

dmesg doesn't help much further other than that it gives me quite a
few lines starting with

SFW2-OUT-ERROR

that's SuseFirewall2 related and Google suggests it's no big deal.

> Changing the router is easy. For a start, it'll stop BT fiddling with it and
> snooping your LAN, and giving away your network bandwidth for free (you know
> they do that, don't you?)

Frankly, I didn't. Even for business broadband (which I use - this is
all for work).

One thing I noticed yesterday is that when I run ipfm (IP Flow Meter;
http://robert.cheramy.net/ipfm/) that tells me how much traffic is
coming in and going out of the network and where it's coming from, I
see some external IPs that receive several megabyte per second. Which
not only is much more than is reasonable to expect (at some point the
total was 260MB/s outbound for a simple business ADSL line), the
amount per IP address is exactly the same every second, for minutes in
a row.

I'm not sure if this is just a bug in ipfm or if this points to some
more serious issue.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Martijn.