[LUG] Network woes

Hello.

I've got some network issues that I've spent a long time trying to
find the reason behind - or even something that causes it. Perhaps
someone here has knows some suggestions.

I have a fairly large (20+ machines) local network. There are many
different machines on the LAN (some Linux boxes, some Windows server
ones, some VMs, some hardware appliances) but the gateway machine runs
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11. The machine is connected to the
Internet with a BT 2700 router/hub (and via a BT ASDL business
broadband connection). It is this connection that is seeing problems.

Basically, the connection occasionally dies and the router cannot be
pinged. This lasts between a few seconds to a few minutes.

I have some control over the activity on the LAN (which includes the
amount of traffic between the LAN and the internet) and reducing it
reduces the likeliness of the problems to occur (but currently the
problems occur so frequently that I have to reduce the activity to
well below what is workable for the problems to disappear almost
altogether).

The outbound activity on the network consists mainly of http (tcp port
80), https (tcp port 443), smtp (tcp port 25) and a bit of dns (udp
port 53) traffic.

Not only do I not know what is causing these problems, but other than
network traffic I have yet to find something that correlates with the
issue. (At the moment, I would be quite happy if I could somehow
control this in a workable manner.) Among other things, I have tried
the following:
- stop most of the outbound SMTP traffic;
- stop outbound traffic from any machine on the LAN but the gateway machine;
- route DNS traffic elsewhere (two other SLES machines on the LAN have
their own outbound connection);
- use different router (of the same make);
- use different cables;
- use a different machine.
None of these worked, though the first three had some problem-reducing
effect, because they reduce the network traffic too.get to

I have also done a lot of extensive monitoring using tcpdump, ipfm
etc. to see if something odd happens just before the network goes
down, but can't find anything odd. I am pretty certain the network
isn't clogged as traffic is a lot higher at other moments. (Also, I
would expect to be able to reach the router in such cases.)

Perhaps the weirdest thing is that I have done some traffic shaping
which reduced the maximum amount of traffic to over the connection. I
can see that this does reduce the amount of outbound traffic. However,
it does not stop the network from going down occasionally.

Erm.. well, that's it. Anyone?

Thanks.

Martijn.