Re: [LUG] Network woes

On 03/06/11 16:57, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> One thing I noticed yesterday is that when I run ipfm (IP Flow Meter;
> http://robert.cheramy.net/ipfm/) that tells me how much traffic is
> coming in and going out of the network and where it's coming from, I
> see some external IPs that receive several megabyte per second. Which
> not only is much more than is reasonable to expect (at some point the
> total was 260MB/s outbound for a simple business ADSL line), the
> amount per IP address is exactly the same every second, for minutes in
> a row.
>
> I'm not sure if this is just a bug in ipfm or if this points to some
> more serious issue.

Could point to the issue. Too much traffic will kill a router, I
eventually solved one problem where a virus on the lan caused a router
to go slow, because it couldn't cope with the speed of scanning the
Internet the virus attempted.

If they aren't IPs connected with the business might be work googling
the IP address, see if the traffic is known about by others, or let us
know details (port, IP, protocol (tcp or udp etc).

Full output of the SuSE firewall errors might point to something as well.