Re: [LUG] Computer dirt was Re: 7cm CPU fan

On Sun, 29 May 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 29/05/11 12:45, Gordon Henderson wrote:

  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/18/ventblockers_2/
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

Modern PCs are typically too small to get really messy.

I seem to remember a certain Michael Lawrie allegedly had rats in one of
his Prime Computers, I always presumed this to be unintentional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lawrie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Computer

I had a mouse in a PC once... As in a real live, living thing. Except it wasn't alive - it had decided to have a fight with the case fan - and lost.

The PC was a router/server - part of the Wi-Fi broadband project I've wittered on about.. This was in a barn in the middle of no-where (near lands-end) and one day it just stopped. When we got to it, it was a bit messy - mouse droppings and urine had rendered the motherboard completely dead.

I'm not sure how it actually got in & out - although there were plenty of ventilation holes in the case, but I didn't think they were large enough...

As for primes.. Ugh. Used them at uny. Horrible things and a stupidly controlling computer services department who looked after them too. Grossly underpowered for what we were trying to do and I think the comp. services were completely out of their depth with these new fangled microcomputers on the horizon (actually over it, this was 1980 and I had an Apple ][) We had manual coding forms and teletypes for uny work, I had fast, interactive stuff for home/fun use...

Gordon