Re: [LUG] 7cm CPU fan

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 11:06 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011, David Bell wrote:

> On Sunday 29 May 2011 10:33:05 Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2011, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>> Current fan on wife's pc is dying, most of the small PC shops seem closed
>>> today (hardly surprising). Does anyone know of a shop open, today, in the
>>> South Devon Area that sells 7cm CPU fans
>>>
>>> CPU is a Athlon 2800 with an aluminium heat sink to which the fan is
>>> screwed
>>
>> I have an 8cm one here if you want to pop over.. It might fit on just one
>> corner which might get you going until you can source a proper one... I
>> might have others - I'll have a look.
>
> Have you tried cleaning out any dust and fluff, then lifting the foil cover to
> the bearings and giving them a drop of thin oil?

If you're lucky enough to get a fan with real steel bearings!!!

These days they are mostly plastic and putting any sort of oil on them is
a sure fire way of killing them instantly.

Gordon

You may find silicon oil safe to use on those plastic/nylon type bearings, the
problem is, I believe, the more traditional mineral oils react with and swell up plastics?

Guy