Re: [LUG] Teignbridge ...

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 13:34 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:00:00AM +0000, Adam Latham wrote:
> > I must say that, as a 'parasite' myself, I find this whole thread rather
> > distasteful.
> >
> > I've never wasted a penny of 'your' money myself, so I'd appreciate if we could
> > keep the discussion at least civil, especially as I like to read all of the
> > posts.
> >
> > I don't mind your opinion, I'm sure there are many people who feel the same way.
> > But, sticks and stones, and all that... I'd rather you chose more friendly
> > language is all: cushy number, soft option, wasters etc. There are a plethora!
> >
> > Anyway, back to work, and no offence intended or implied. Just an opinion.
> >
> Adam
>
> Indeed and we all know the relief that comes from finding a helpful person:
> be they bankers, garages or civil servants.

Ah, Bankers.  Don't get me started, lol!

> On that note, is there any way "The Unions" - such as Unison - can get
> involved in promoting opensource software as a means for local government
> to cut license fees (costs) (and, perhaps, improve the skill set of students)?

I can't see any good reason why not, however, a lot of the IT members
they are representing will be as opposed to FLOSS as would be the large
IT consultancies who 'advise' Unions on their own IT arrangements.

I have voiced this opinion before, someone on here even sent in to Exec
at the local authority, a proposal to that effect - shot down in the
flames of ignorance, if I remember correctly.  I think their reasoning
was that they were committed to the investment in Microshonky software,
and that the user knowledge base was too small and that large amounts of
re-training would be needed.  Don't quote me, this is from a distant
memory.

Most ICT courses are little more than Microshonky training courses, or
Adooby-dooby-do training courses!  Of course they've heard of
Linux/Unix/Mac but '..nobody really uses it..'.  They've heard of
OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice but '..nobody really uses it..' which is
insane really!  They've heard of C++ but 'everyone' used Microshonky
software to write it.  They've heard of HTML/PHP/MySQL but 'everyone'
uses Droneweaver etc, etc.

Adam