Re: [LUG] More Proprietary Tie-ins

On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:43:26 +0100
Paul Sutton wrote:

> >> That means you have to upgrade to w7 to get the fixes - like
> >> buying a new BMW to fixes your wobbly windscreen wipers on your
> >> reliant robin....
> >
> > No when I said not fixed I meant not fixed, not even in IE9, just
> > we'd hoped that CSS 2 compatibility claims for IE8 would include
> > rendering things the CSS 2 way - naive but hey you can hope. ACID2
> > is not comprehensive :(
> >

> I think this is the sort of thing we should use in our pro OSS
> argument (rather than an anti MS argument)  but here we have an
> example of how Microsoft sell us software that is buggy and buggy in
> being able to render stuff that is fully open standards, so there is
> NO excuse for it being unable to use
>
> Why should i choose firefox (for example) over IE, well for a start
> firefox works with standards such as css2 etc properly, where as MS
> keep messing things up.
>
> may want to tell people what open standards are too, so it makes the
> above have more clarity
>
> paul

Much and all as I usually hate analogies, I think for consumption by
the general public perhaps some well planned and considered analogies
would be a bonus.

Can anyone think of some good analogies for "open standards"?  Most of
the things that jump to my mind are actually rules or laws (ie things
that you *must* abide by) rather than things that you *should* abide by.

Grant.