Re: [LUG] More Proprietary Tie-ins

On 16/05/11 10:46, Adam Latham wrote:
Some of you may remember that I work in a Secondary school - not in ICT thankfully.

Today I received our BTEC subject Assessment materials on CD-ROM and the
requirements read like a who's-who of computer fascism:

OS: this disc will only work on a PC running Windows XP SP3 or better. It WILL not
run on MAC OSX.

Required: MS Office 2003 or better, Adobe Reader 8 or better, IE7 or better, Firefox
3

Without these requirements, the disc is a £200 coaster.

Edexcel produce the BTEC resources as part of the Pearson group.

So although it'll install through WINE, you can't actually read any of the documents
without installing the items previously mentioned. Nice.

World domination, just another (depressing) step closer for M$ and adooby-dooby-do.

Adam
Message sent using BlackBerry®
so how many copies of this at £200 a time do you have to purchase as a school?

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day