Re: [LUG] MS Giving stuff away.

On 18/05/11 21:49, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 18/05/11 13:57, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
>> I was talking to my boss about Open Source software, which she is
>> aware of and
>> would'nt mind running in the IT suite. But aparently Microsoft gave
>> the centre
>> all of it's software. Thats about 8 copies of Windows 7 along with
>> Office and
>> Word etc. So the people on the comittie who make the descision about what
>> happens are quite happy sticking with it.
>>     It didn't sound like something Microsoft would do. Espescialy for
>> a small
>> (very) charatable organisation in Cornwall. Would it be more likely
>> that the
>> machines were donated and that the software and licences were included
>> with them
>> ?
>>
>> Jon Davey.
>>

> There's nothing stopping them installing Open Source applications on
> Windows alongside things like Microsoft Office.  Maybe such applications
> such as Inkscape, PDF Creator, The Gimp and Firefox would complement the
> existing installed applications.
>
> Rob

So perhaps suggest they give the opendisc away with these PC's  or we
provide a way to get this to people,  perhaps at one of our sessions,

OK take exwick and say they sign up to this

people come in to find out more about getting online and they can pick
up a ubuntu and or a open disc cd,

in which case funding is needed from somewhere to prepare and burn a set
of these cd's so they look professional.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day