Re: [LUG] Windows Support

On Sun, 15 May 2011 21:08:06 +0100
Simon Waters wrote:

> At this point I'm so far behind on Windows I'm the wrong person to
> ask, I can usually solve most of the issues quickly but more and more
> I'm hitting weird things that regular Windows techies would "just
> know" that I don't.

To be fair, there haven't been that many real changes to the underlying
Windows system for quite some time.  Microsoft seem to have been
changing the UI around and getting you to access things in different
ways over the past few versions, but it is still essentially the same
system.

To my mind, the biggest changes have been:
 - from 2000 to XP - when things get loaded, ie XP will not load
   certain things until after you've logged on; 2000 will.
 - from XP to Vista - the logon interface (although not *so* much the
   underlying processes) changed, so customising the Windows logon
   screen had to be done differently; also some changes to the way
   Windows handles networking seemed to be a fair bit different.
 - from Vista to 7 - I have to admit, I haven't spent enough time
   digging through the Windows 7 system yet... last time I used it
   though it seemed very Vista-ish.  Perhaps the biggest change here is
   refining the whole glitzy "aero" thing.

Grant.