Re: [LUG] Akonadi

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2011 16:35:06 +0100
Neil Winchurst<barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Neil,

I have checked and the strigi-daemon is not installed. So does that
mean that it is not running?

Not as a service, certainly.  Probably not at all.  Check with in your
package manager whether anything Strigi related is installed.

A couple of plug in files, also libstreamanalyzer0 and libstreams0 and shared-desktop-ontologies are marked as installed when I search for strigi.

I ask because when I work with a terminal screen sometimes it gets
ridiculously slow. This suggests to me that something is using up some

What does "top" say about CPU usage, etc?  Assuming you can get another
terminal open and run top.
No swap space being used. The only high percentage is 96%id whatever that is.

memory somewhere and I thought of akonadi and strigi.

I know that when I started with KDE4, everything was awfully slow,
despite having a vastly superior processor compared with the one I was
using when I had KDE3 (the change of computer coincided with the Debian
testing change from KDE3 to 4).  Stopping Strigi did the trick for me.

I had a problem with the screen refresh in gui programs at first but that has been sorted. Now that seems normal. Only the console is having problems, but not all the time.

Neil