Re: [LUG] Networked Storage

On Tue, 3 May 2011, Gibbs wrote:

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 20:44 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
However:

Case:   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12789      £82
Mobo:   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=13021      £69.14
RAM:    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12224      £12.38

Total is: £163.52 + VAT = £196.25.

LinITX looks pretty decent. Think I'll go down that root ;)

The mobo is out of stock - but FWIW: I've not used that case, but I have used this one recently for a client:

  http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12632

it's a bit cheaper too, but out of stock, but if you're waiting on the mobo, then you might want to wait for that one too. I was quite impressed by it, but it was a bit fiddly to get all the cabling in the right place.

Don't forget the drives! Linitx have a limited stock, so I use Aria for other stuff.

Hm. Saying that, I've just checked and they've a much bigger selection than they used to have, so worth a look!

Be careful with the motherboard selection too - I'm not personally a fan of the Jetway ones - well, I bought one and it kept on giving me DMA errors of SATA transfers - and someone I know reported the same too, so maybe there's some weirdness there that the Windows driver copes with, but the Linux one doesn't - who knows.

For a home system, you're not usually after blistering speeds either, so no need to splash out of the latest & greatest, fastest, etc. drives and mobo - unless you want to! The newer Atom boards are in the 15 watt range too - budget 12 watts per drive and you ought to be well under 50 watts for the whole unit.

Gordon