Re: [LUG] Networked Storage

On Tue, 3 May 2011, Gibbs wrote:

I don't mind building one myself as I like the idea of being able to add
and change parts. I made a cheap home server with a mini ITX board but I
want something a bit smaller and don't know where to start shopping for
cheap components and cases.

OK..

I assume a NAS is just a term for a networked computer with the purpose
being storage. If that's the case then I guess I can just try and make a
small server, connect it to a router and run something like FreeNAS to
make life a bit easier?

NAS is Network Attached Storage.

Basically something that more than one computer can access - as opposed to something that just plugs into yor USB port which only that PC can access.

Making one - might work out more expensive than buying one, however, it all depends on how flexable you want it - ie. hot swappable drives and so in. Personally, I can live with cold swappable drives in my home/office kit.

However:

Case:   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12789  £82
Mobo:   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=13021  £69.14
RAM:    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12224  £12.38

Total is: £163.52 + VAT = £196.25.

Now that case has space for 4 drives, but the mobo only sockets for 2 drives... However it's a start. You can get cheaper cases, but might have to sacrifice the hot-swap caddys - but do be casreful with ventilation.

Then you need drives to put in it... 2 x 1TB - e.g.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/1TB+Samsung+HD103SJ+SpinPoint+F3+SATA-II+3.5%22+Hard+Drive+?productId=37726

are £37.19 each inc. vat ...

Then you re-cycle a CD drive/usb stick to boot Linux into it and off you go :)

So that's the lot - 1TB of mirrored storage for under £300 ... (and the 2TB drives are only £59 each)

Or if nothing else, you now have an evening of browsing those sites and others for ideas ;-)

Gordon