Re: [LUG] dual boot flash drive

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> As ubuntu has a start up disk creator which can be used to create a
> start up disk on a usb flash drive, is it possible to do this and
> creatre a dual boot disk, say both 32bit and 64bit
>
> i am guessing it just copies the iso contents to the flash disk and
> installs a boot loader
>
>  I guess it may be a case of:-
>
> create 2 directories e.g /32bit and /64bit
>
> copy appropriate iso contents to each of the above
>
> install grub (or if we don't format the drive then it should be there)
> so edit configuration file to point to either of the above
>

> perhaps at the next lug meet we can have a go,
>
> Paul

If you wanted 2 separate installations, one being 32bit, the other
being 64bit, then my thoughts on this are as follows:

+ Pre-partition the harddrive, potentially having 3 partitions - /home
to be shared between both 32 and 64bit installations, and separate /
partitions for each.

+ Disconnect any internal harddrives so there's no chance of them
being detected.

+ Install 32bit Ubuntu opting for the advanced partitioning tool and
use the partitions you created above.
+ Ensure the 32bit Ubuntu bootloader is installed on the 32bit's "/"
partition rather than the MBR.

+ Reboot.

+ Install 64bit Ubuntu opting for the advanced partitioning tool and
use the partitions you created above, making sure you don't overwrite
anything in the 32bit's /.
+ Allow the 64bit's bootloader to be installed on the MBR, but check
that it has found the 32bit installation and has it listed.  If it
doesn't, it's not the end of the world it just adds an extra couple of
steps to the process.

You *should* have an external harddrive with both 32bit and 64bit
Ubuntu installed side-by-side.

Grant.