Re: [LUG] Inkjet or Laser

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Having replaced my old computer I am now wondering about a new printer. My present one is quite old now (Epson Stylus Photo 810) and it is showing its age.

Looking around the internet I see comments about the rising cost of ink cartridges. For this reason I have recently used compatibles. I know that this is somewhat frowned upon but the printer is well past its sell by date.

So I have been looking at the possibility of getting a colour laser printer instead. They are much cheaper nowadays and the running costs seem on a par with inkjets.

As I have never actually used one (laser printer) at home I am asking for any suggestions, comments etc to help me come to a decision. I expect there are some experts among list members.

I'm intersted too...

However I currently have an HP color laserjet 4600dn - the cartridges are about £100-£110 for genuine HP parts and give about 8000 pages when fully used (ie. you'll get many times more out of the colour ones for 'normal' office printing - it's the black that will give 8000 pages of normal A4)

However it needs servicing as it's smudging the output - probably a new internal belt thingy costing about £250 - and a service cost is £65 just to come on-site... (it's also 8 years old)

What I've found is that most laserjet printers do not come with PostScript built in - which is completely bizarre as some will "print from PDF" which is essentially PostScript with a few knobs on, so you need a Linux driver for the cheaper ones - even those which have an Ethernet socket.

So it's a bit of a PITA.

For me, I want a new laser printer with an Ethernet socket and which takes postscript - and that seems to be a limiting factor these days.

Gordon