Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On 24/04/11 19:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

I think that what's really needed is some good tutorials on it all - and possibly (what I've not found yet) is a "Scribus for Publisher users" sort of guide.

And then there's the other commercial offerings - but that's no better - basically the issue that of getting someone who'd been using publisher since day 1 to use something else - and if it boils down to paying money for "something", then that "something" will be Publisher!

However wifey is going to have another go with Scribus and see what happens - she's still using XP though, and it's iTunes which is very probably going to be the sticking point now - assuming she can get on with Scribus!

Cheers,

Gordon

May I add that if anyone stays with Scribus it's worth buying the paper manual written by the developers. A good deal of the money raised buy the sale of this manual goes towards the continued development of Scribus. Plus it has some helpful hints and additional software information. I don't know about other people but I always like to have a paper manual handy rather than look up the online version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scribus-Open-Source-Desktop-Publishing-Christoph/dp/0956078001/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303728270&sr=1-1

There is a new version of the manual out very soon (now?) so it may worth holding off until it's published.

Also another book I can recommend which is perhaps suited more to the beginner is "Scribus 1.3.5 Beginner's Guide"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scribus-1-3-5-Beginner%2527s-Guide-Cedric/dp/1849513007/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303728270&sr=1-2

Desktop Publishing is a huge subject and I suggest if anyone discovers an interest in it then it's absolutely imperative to get some good books on design, typology and print production etc.

Keith