Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On 23 April 2011 21:14, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wifey is struggling with Scribus - after X years of using publisher (curtsey of her employer, DCC, who's just made her redundant), she thinks it's utter rubbish.

And I have to say, watching her struggle to use it, I'm starting to think that too - a seemingly simple task she showed me in Publisher - inset some clip-art, resize it, move it into place - a doddle in publisher, required that Scribus launch gimp to do the image manipulation...

So she's on the verge of spending £120 on publisher... Unless there is an alternative?

It's probably the one thing that would stop her going over to Linux and give-up her XP desktop once and for-all, however...

Any suggestions welcome...

Gordon

--
By a strange coincidence, a friend of mine who has also just been made redundant by DCC also has a requirement to do desktop publishing but, he has just bought a brand new windows 7 sony vaio. I was planning to install scribus for him and give him some training on it. Publisher is so expensive and Serif's Pageplus seems to require registration so that they can bombard people with sales material. Therefore, I think I will try the Scribus route first, unless anyone else comes up with an alternative.

Viv