Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Gordon Henderson
>> <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> So what might be the best way?
>>>
>>> I reckon that with the co-operation of a friend (or 2) then you could get
>>> good system in-place. Everyone has 2 removable drives of sufficient
>>> capacity, and one is at home and one with a trusted friend (but you'll
>>> want
>>> to use whole-disk encryption, anyway).
>>
>> I assume this removable drive would installed in your friends linux pc?
>
> No. You're just giving it to them for safe keeping - acting as a cheap
> off-site storage location.

Ah right! Sorry. With you now. :-)

>>> So on a daily basis, rsync your live
>>> data to the backup, using various tricks to maintain several days worth
>>> of
>>> storage (cp -al), then once a week, you swap your "live" disk with that
>>> held
>>> by the friend and carry on.
>>
>> If the drives are rsynced daily - why do you swap them over? Just to
>> even the wear and tear? Presumably the drive at home will be doing
>> more work than the one at your friends.
>
> The remote one is turned off. You could swap them daily but that might be a
> PITA - what I'm suggesting here is a scheme that gives you a weeks worth of
> daily snapshots online & local to you - handy for accidental file deletion,
> and data older then a week is kept off-site - handy for when your house gets
> demolished. So at most you'll lose a weeks worth of data.

Perhaps you could make it a little easier (and less robust?) by just
keeping a the disk in your car. Daily backups might be less of a PITA
in that case however. A project perhaps... "encrypted wireless car
data backup". I could make millions... lol ;-) A convenient and pseudo
off-site data backup?

>> There is almost a need for a product like this. Maybe. You buy it
>> once, plumb it in at a friends and then there are no on-going backup
>> costs, except power - which if it is just a drive plugged into your
>> mates pc, will hopefully not be too much. Arrangements could be made
>> so that it is not on all the time too (esp. if it was an external
>> drive). hmmm...
>
> No - Not online.

noted. lol.
roly :-)