Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> So what might be the best way?
>
> I reckon that with the co-operation of a friend (or 2) then you could get a
> good system in-place. Everyone has 2 removable drives of sufficient
> capacity, and one is at home and one with a trusted friend (but you'll want
> to use whole-disk encryption, anyway).

I assume this removable drive would installed in your friends linux pc?

> So on a daily basis, rsync your live
> data to the backup, using various tricks to maintain several days worth of
> storage (cp -al), then once a week, you swap your "live" disk with that held
> by the friend and carry on.

If the drives are rsynced daily - why do you swap them over? Just to
even the wear and tear? Presumably the drive at home will be doing
more work than the one at your friends.

There is almost a need for a product like this. Maybe. You buy it
once, plumb it in at a friends and then there are no on-going backup
costs, except power - which if it is just a drive plugged into your
mates pc, will hopefully not be too much. Arrangements could be made
so that it is not on all the time too (esp. if it was an external
drive). hmmm...

best wishes
roly :-)