[LUG] Laptop periodically crashing hard!

I have an oldish laptop here that I'm setting up for my daughter.
I've found that, regardless of what operating system is running, it
will sporadically just completely bomb out.  The screen will typically
become all blue/grey stripy except for an area approx. 1/2" around
where the pointer was... that just turns to complete garbage.  I am
presuming it has completely bombed as nothing, not even the magic
ALT+SysRQ+B works.

I have had it sitting there for about 12 hours doing MEMTEST x86+ with
no issues.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency (from a "what is
it doing" perspective) as to when it'll bomb.

I'm doubting it'll be an application causing this as a) I have never
seen a bog-standard application causing a bombing of this nature, and
b) it happens irrespective of whether it is running Windows or Linux.
It could be X - or rather it could be an issue with the graphics
hardware (Radeon Xpress 200M) - but again there doesn't seem to be any
consistency as to when it'll go, so I can't fathom out how it could be
X.

Any thoughts on where I should start the troubleshooting process?

Cheers.
Grant.