Re: [LUG] Laptop periodically crashing hard!

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:20 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> I have an oldish laptop here that I'm setting up for my daughter.
> I've found that, regardless of what operating system is running, it
> will sporadically just completely bomb out.  The screen will typically
> become all blue/grey stripy except for an area approx. 1/2" around
> where the pointer was... that just turns to complete garbage.  I am
> presuming it has completely bombed as nothing, not even the magic
> ALT+SysRQ+B works.
>
> I have had it sitting there for about 12 hours doing MEMTEST x86+ with
> no issues.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency (from a "what is
> it doing" perspective) as to when it'll bomb.
>
> I'm doubting it'll be an application causing this as a) I have never
> seen a bog-standard application causing a bombing of this nature, and
> b) it happens irrespective of whether it is running Windows or Linux.
> It could be X - or rather it could be an issue with the graphics
> hardware (Radeon Xpress 200M) - but again there doesn't seem to be any
> consistency as to when it'll go, so I can't fathom out how it could be
> X.
>
> Any thoughts on where I should start the troubleshooting process?
>
> Cheers.
> Grant.

most prob temp related,
 have you got an air duster can?
blow out the CPU fan
See where the temp  is set in the BIOS reduce it to 50 deg and see it
fails and looks the same
can you plug it in a real monitor? has the cpu stopped or the Display?
--
Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)