Re: [LUG] lock down ubuntu

On 11/04/11 13:22, Paul Sutton wrote:
lighthouse now has 3 computers 2 running ubuntu 9,04 and another running
i think a later version.

these are just hard disk installs with gnome

<snip>

any recommendations as to what to use to lock down the system,

btw 9,04 works and is fine for internet use, so before people start
saying upgrade it, if we upgrade it, it just either won't install
properly or ends up slow, or gives other problems.

Ubuntu 9.04 is no longer supported. TBH you'd have been better with maybe Debian or another distro.

I have done the best i can so far, but could do with some pointers etc

I did have some instructions somewhere, can't find them at the the moment but I'll see if I have them in my bookmarks.

This might help...

http://brainextender.blogspot.com/2009/01/look-down-ubuntus-gnome-desktop.html

(Covers Ubuntu 8.10 by the looks of things but I don't think things have changed that much).

In the case of the Exwick Community Centre I installed a script that blatted the user's home directory and restored a previous version when they logged out. Wasn't fool proof but it worked reasonably well (it was also done on a per user basis so it was possible to have users that kept persistent home directories so they could store stuff (for training for instance).

You could also look at bunging on the Edubuntu addons which I believe have more options for locking down the desktop.

Rob