Re: [LUG] Linux Mint 10 KDE

On 03/04/11 09:34, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have now had a good go with my new computer, running Linuxmint v10 KDE. My current computer is still running Kubuntu Hardy so I have noticed a lot of changes.

First off, I like to have some icons on the desktop for the programs I use a lot, just a personal preference. In Hardy I can drag and drop from the menu to the desktop and 'Link here'. Simple. If I want to set up an icon for a program which does not appear in the menus then I can right click on the desktop and choose Create new > link to application. This means that I have to type in the link myself, but that is easy.

In Mint I can right click on a menu item and choose Add to desktop. Easy. But I cannot find a way to set up a launcher icon for something that does not appear in the menus. Right click on the desktop does not offer 'New' at all. So more research.

Secondly, extra desktops. In Hardy I can easily have several desktops which I access via Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 etc. And I can have a different background colour for each one. In Mint I see references to virtual desktops??? I am still trying to get to grips with that. There does not seem to be the equivalent to the Hardy system.

And as a by the way, in Mint I have set it up to switch on the Num Lock key at log in. It does not seem to work.

So my final point is ... I have used Linux for over 10 years now and Kubuntu (so KDE) for 8 years. Yet I am struggling with this new version of Mint. We, the group, are trying hard to get people to try Linux. How much harder will it be for them to go from Windows to any version of Linux? I know I keep banging on about this, but we will need to provide a lot of help and hand holding for newbies for a long time if we are to succeed. So we need to work with people who live near us, which is one good thing about the fact that, as a group, we are scattered around the two counties.

Anyway, enough from me

Neil Winchurst

i agree and have said this before, esp if we are doing install meets we need to do follow up events.

Its good that the exeter meetings are every month, and as long as people can get help or can be signposted to friendly places to get help we should be fine,

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day