Re: [LUG] EICC

On 03/04/11 09:27, Joe Buckle wrote:

Sounds like a cracking day Rob (et al). Brilliant!

I am impressed you went round the chaps house to finish the install
off. Well done!  As I (and others) have mentioned before I think that
kind of support is essential to give someone (esp. a non-geek) a good
linux introduction :-) nice job.

Roly :-)
Likewise, that sounds like a good meeting! Well done. It just goes to
prove there are still some old dogs out there with old dial up modems
and rusty hardware that can still have life breathed into them.

I'm really glad the interest is trickling in and hopefully at some point
EICC will be to small to contain the amount of visitors! LOL.

Joe

Actually it was a USB ADSL modem (which on Windows is detected as a 'dialup' connection). He'd been quoted about Â70 from Talktalk to get a router (which is a bit off considering they give the things away free normally). I think it was suggested to him that he got an ADSL Router.

This is one thing we should probably find out about first though before saying "Yes we'll put Linux on your machine". It was only because they arrived at the meeting early that I had time to do this, and since I don't live in Exeter I really wouldn't have time to pop over and sort it out. So ideally we need to work out how to offer after support, either remotely, via phone/e-mail or in person. Ideally I think that folks in Exeter get support from members in Exeter, likewise folks in Torbay would probably do with getting support from members in Torbay otherwise it's going to cost us in travelling. I don't mind helping but I can't afford to be going out to Exeter too much (it costs me nearly a tenner in fuel as it is to get to Exeter).

So yeah, it would be handy if we could find out what hardware they have, such as if they have a printer, scanner, webcam etc. If they do then we could do with model numbers so we can pre-check if they're supported or if they could bring them along we can get them setup, and if they have Internet access, how do they connect... i.e. broadband over wifi or ethernet, 3G internet, analogue dialup or ISDN?

I do wonder if maybe a simple questionarre to give to them to fill out before we install might be a good idea so they can record model numbers of hardware etc so we're better prepared.

Rob