Re: [LUG] Linux Mint 10 KDE

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have now had a good go with my new computer, running Linuxmint v10 KDE. My
> current computer is still running Kubuntu Hardy so I have noticed a lot of
> changes.
>
> First off, I like to have some icons on the desktop for the programs I use a
> lot, just a personal preference. In Hardy I can drag and drop from the menu
> to the desktop and 'Link here'. Simple. If I want to set up an icon for a
> program which does not appear in the menus then I can right click on the
> desktop and choose Create new > link to application. This means that I have
> to type in the link myself, but that is easy.
>
> In Mint I can right click on a menu item and choose Add to desktop. Easy.
> But I cannot find a way to set up a launcher icon for something that does
> not appear in the menus. Right click on the desktop does not offer 'New' at
> all. So more research.

can you...

whereis <program name>

ln -s <pathToProgram> <~/Desktop/linkName>

I just tried this with some success but asks if i want to run in a
terminal. when i do it works fine, but not quite right is it. Others
probably know best?

> Secondly, extra desktops. In Hardy I can easily have several desktops which
> I access via Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 etc. And I can have a different background
> colour for each one. In Mint I see references to virtual desktops??? I am
> still trying to get to grips with that. There does not seem to be the
> equivalent to the Hardy system.

ctrl+F1 does not work here (ubuntu 9.04). but ctrl+alt+f1 does. I
assume its nothing that simple?

> And as a by the way, in Mint I have set it up to switch on the Num Lock key
> at log in. It does not seem to work.
>
> So my final point is ... I have used Linux for over 10 years now and Kubuntu
> (so KDE) for 8 years. Yet I am struggling with this new version of Mint. We,
> the group, are trying hard to get people to try Linux. How much harder will
> it be for them to go from Windows to any version of Linux? I know I keep
> banging on about this, but we will need to provide a lot of help and hand
> holding for newbies for a long time if we are to succeed. So we need to work
> with people who live near us, which is one good thing about the fact that,
> as a group, we are scattered around the two counties.

agreed. :-)

Best wishes
roly