Re: [LUG] Recommendations for simple router Linux systems

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM,  <stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/04/11 07:42:37, Rob Beard wrote:

On 01/04/11 00:16, Grant Sewell wrote:
I'd say IPCop, during setup it has a set of Ncurses (I think) menus and
then when it's installed it's all done from the web interface and it'll work
on anything from about a 486 upwards (possibly even a

+1 vote

IPCop is good for general use, but is it suitable for a teaching/learning aid?

I'm thinking the "use a bare bones Linux system and do stuff from the
CLI" option is looking the best at the moment.

I found something called "Zebra" which looked interesting - it
*seemed* to be an application that presents the user with a very
Cisco-IOS-esque command environment with which to configure the
device.  I don't really think this is an apporpriate tool for me in
this situation as it adds an unnecessary extra layer on-top of the
existing Linux networking configuration.

Zebra is a routing daemon - I think it's quite old though, so not sure how well supported it is. It can handle RIP/OSPF and BGP. Then again old might mean stable!

I've not had need to do that sort of routing for some time, but when I was, I was using GateD ...

I hear that Quagga is supposed to be a bit more modern.. And Vyatta is a router inna box solution (I think) - basically a complete OS to run on PC hardware.

I suspect these days, most people just go for Cisco or Juniper and be done with it - Probably only the smaller ISPs, etc. (like me :) still use software based routers... Which are absolutely fine until you come to handle multiple Gb interfaces, then the limits of the PC architecture let you down more than anything else...

Actually, if you find anything else, let me know - I've a project that might need BGP peering in 6 months or so if it takes off!

Gordon