Re: [LUG] Recommendations for simple router Linux systems

On 01/04/11 00:16, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

With any luck, after Easter some of my students will be in a position
where we can afford to "play" with some kit.  I would like to cover
routing with them in more depth and I would like to give them a series
of tasks involving a bunch of low end computers and a bunch of PCI
network cards... ie building their own routers with which to put the
routing theory into practice.

Anybody got any good recommendations for suitable systems?  Web-based
configuration setups are a bonus but not necessarily necessary - I would
normally cover Cisco but we haven't got enough Cisco kit to make this
work.  Installing to the harddrive is an option but if said system can
be achieved using just a live CD/floppy then that would be awesome too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

 From the above Wikipedia page, the following seem to strike a chord
with me - comments would be very much appreciated:
  + Alpine
  + Coyote/BrazilFW
  + Devil
  + FLI4L
  + FloppyFW
  + Freesco
  + Gibraltar
  + IPCop
  + IPFire
  + m0n0wall
  + pfSense
  + Smoothwall

Ideally a relatively straight-forward interface (either CLI or Web/GUI)
that supports setting static IPs on multiple NICs, managing both static
and simple dynamic routing (read: RIP/RIPv2 will suffice, OSPF is a
possibility for those who get to grips with it nicely).  A
straight-forward interface for firewalling would also be a bonus but is
not mandatory.

Cheers all.
Grant. :)

I'd say IPCop, during setup it has a set of Ncurses (I think) menus and then when it's installed it's all done from the web interface and it'll work on anything from about a 486 upwards (possibly even a 386).

Rob