Re: [LUG] Recommendations for simple router Linux systems

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Grant Sewell wrote:

Hi all,

With any luck, after Easter some of my students will be in a position
where we can afford to "play" with some kit.  I would like to cover
routing with them in more depth and I would like to give them a series
of tasks involving a bunch of low end computers and a bunch of PCI
network cards... ie building their own routers with which to put the
routing theory into practice.

So rather than bloating the box with additional nonsense, why not just do it from scratch - basic linux install, a few ifconfig commands and a few iptables commands. Done.

I actually find that approach infinitely better than using any commercial firewalling/web/curses based thing. (including my own)

Ideally a relatively straight-forward interface (either CLI or Web/GUI)

CLI is there - it's built in. It's called /bin/bash

Gordon