Re: [LUG] Recommendations for simple router Linux systems

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM,  <stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/04/11 07:42:37, Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>> On 01/04/11 00:16, Grant Sewell wrote:
>> I'd say IPCop, during setup it has a set of Ncurses (I think) menus and
>> then when it's installed it's all done from the web interface and it'll work
>> on anything from about a 486 upwards (possibly even a
>
> +1 vote

IPCop is good for general use, but is it suitable for a teaching/learning aid?

I'm thinking the "use a bare bones Linux system and do stuff from the
CLI" option is looking the best at the moment.

I found something called "Zebra" which looked interesting - it
*seemed* to be an application that presents the user with a very
Cisco-IOS-esque command environment with which to configure the
device.  I don't really think this is an apporpriate tool for me in
this situation as it adds an unnecessary extra layer on-top of the
existing Linux networking configuration.

Grant.