Re: [LUG] OpenOffice Recovery

On 27/03/11 18:42, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> Hi all
> I have had an interesting time with a Win user and an Open Office .ODT
> that crashed ( a 24 pager written on the fly with no notes) and the box
> "save a Copy" was not checked in Preferences.
> SO after trying 2 File recovery gizmoes in Windows and failing I looked
> in to it in Linux
>
> Opening the File with Archive Manager gives a List if Files within the
> crashed file and contents.xml and styles.xml are easily read in to gedit
> or bulefish etc.
>
> The error we had was a Duplicate style at line 2 column 6231
>
> I found this point ( all the content was on the one line ) and removed
> the duplicate Tag
>
> Open the file again and got a Similar error but a different col number
> knowing we can go like this forever (there were 118472 cols in this
> file) I am thinking I just want the text out of this file.
> So html2txt contents.xml >goodtext.txt
>
> 2 secs later
> a Good paragraphed txt file of the Orig.
> Brilliant !
>  So good the windows user has a copy of peppermint linux on a Live Cd to
> play with.

This is the sort of thing we need to present at talks as an example of
where Linux can be useful should other operating systems such as windows
fail,

Paul
--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Easter Fest 2011 - Music and production activities for young people 12 - 19
April 11 - 23rd - The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.
17th September 2011 - Software freedom day