Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:49:54 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > The whole "where do I put deleted messages" thing can rear its head
> > though.  Particularly if you're viewing the same IMAP account on two
> > different computers with two different clients (or even the same
> > client but configured differently in two locations).
>
> What have I missed here... When I delete an email, it's gone. That's
> sort of what deleted means... (and what backups are for!)
>
> Gordon

I've found that most mail clients don't actually delete the message -
they put it into a specific folder called "Trash" or something
similar.  Messages in that folder will actually be removed after a
period - sometimes upon application exit, sometimes after a given
amount of time (30 days?).  I know it would make sense for a deleted
message to actually be removed, but IME the majority of "desktop mail
clients" don't do this.  Apart from pandering to user's cries of "oh,
but I didn't take a backup... surely your application should have known
that I was going to be a numpty", apart from that I'm not sure why
"desktop email clients" behave in this way.

Grant.