Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On 09/03/11 17:16, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:02:43 +0000
Anthony Williams wrote:

On 09/03/11 15:55, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I do want to see lots of people move over to Linux. The choice of
packages is important. I suspect that some will be looking for a
reason to move back to that other system. An email client that
seems unnecessarily complicated could be enough.

Comments

Why burden them with an email client? Get them setup with a decent
webmail system and forget it. Then they have no local emails
that'll get lost, can access it from anywhere, and when they're
ready, transparently use a smartphone/tablet, etc with imap client
to access the same email&  folders, etc.

If you use an IMAP client like Thunderbird then you have the same set
of benefits. Plus, Thunderbird is much nicer than any webmail client
I've used (including SquirrelMail).

The whole "where do I put deleted messages" thing can rear its head
though.  Particularly if you're viewing the same IMAP account on two
different computers with two different clients (or even the same client
but configured differently in two locations).

If you just use Thunderbird, that's not an issue, the same as just using any one client. If you add a second client to the same IMAP server (whether it's webmail, Thunderbird, mobile, whatever) then you can encounter this issue, whichever client you used to start with.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk