Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK pushes on with broadband plans

On 05/03/11 21:40, James Kilty wrote:
On 05/03/11 12:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:

BT (Wholesale + OpenReach) will be running fibre (and power) to the
cabinet 100 yards from you, and fitting a mini DSLAM
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line_Access_Multiplexer

inside the cabinet
(or more likely a new cabinet) You'll keep the same copper.

Once BTW have confirmed the install and tested it, then they'll open it
up to other ISPs (including BT retail) for use. At that point, Demon can
upgrade you - a service which you'll pay for,
They said they would upgrade - I thought it was without charge.

Unless Demon are willing to take a hit on the charges (maybe in return for a 12 or 18 month contract) then there is a charge...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4411-openreach-extends-fttc-install-offers.html

£35 + VAT for connection fee and £12 + VAT for managed install.

It appears that you can also get up to a 30 metre extension cable installed if need be so the modem can be put in a more suitable location (such as near a power socket) but it appears to not be recommended unless it's necessary (presumably because it will possibly affect the speed).

No doubt in the future BT will allow a wires only install (basically what you get for ADSL) as the product matures.

and a man (from BT
OpenReach) will come in install a new faceplate and modem for you.
I may be a bit thick but I am reliant on a filter and my own router - I
assume this has then modem function in it - a Draytek Vigor 2600.

If you get FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) chances are it will use VDSL technology which isn't compatible with an existing ADSL modem. As far as I'm aware at the moment BT will supply and install a VDSL modem and quite possibly a separate router. I gather the VDSL modems are just that, modems which convert the VDSL connection into an Ethernet connection which you then plug into a router (or firewall box such as maybe an IPCop/Smoothwall/PFSense/etc box).

If you were with BT Broadband then you'd probably get one of the new Homehub routers which is an ADSL router with the capability of working as a router for BT Infinity broadband (or maybe even Virgin Media cable) as it also has an Ethernet socket for connecting to another modem.

If your ISP don't provide a router for you then a standard 'cable' router will do the job.

The RFS (Ready For Service) date for your exchange is the 11th of March -
but I'd go to the cabinet and see if they've started work on it yet
There was van nearby the other day - I will go and have a look tomorrow
to see what I can see - otherwise ask the neighbours who are a few yards
away!
- they
are running late in some areas... However, I've no idea to work out if
they're upgrading all cabinet, or just some. The best indication will be
to see if they've actually put in a new cabinet yet, or done some ground
work perparations. (dig a hole, concrete base, etc.)
OK in the light!

100 yds from the cabinet - you'll potentially get well over 30Mb/sec
sync. rate at that distance. Lucky sod!
That remains to be seen.
(however it's then up to the
service you get over BT Wholesale and your chosen ISP as to the actual
throughput you get)
I am crossing my fingers as they say.

Good luck, hopefully it'll be a vast improvement on what you're getting at the moment, although saying that it's not all down to the connection speed. It also depends on what you're downloading and where from (for instance on my 50 Meg broadband I'm currently downloading something at 176KB/sec).

Rob